Sunday, March 23, 2008



I have been having issues with my coffee press. I bought my third and final one a couple of Sundays ago. I say final one because if this one broke it must be the universe's way of telling me I am not to own one. When I got home and pulled it out of the box it had a crack in the glass. I finally brought it back to the UB Mart. It was quite the ordeal! The girl who was helping me took me all over the store searching for someone. When we found her she said, "I'm sorry, I don't speak English. Do you speak German? Russian?" When they discovered how linguistically challened I was they then tried to recruit an English speaker from the customers. They found a woman who claimed to speak English, but truly did not. I kept repeating that I did not want my money back, I just wanted the glass replaced. Another woman joined the crowd who seemed to understand me more. I just had to mime out what I wanted. The people trying to help me just kept staring at the press and passing it to each other. After about 45 minutes, they handed me a new press and took the old one. I mime a lot here. I was thinking that the amount I have heard Mongolian spoken, I should be able to pick out some words. Unfortunately, this is not the case! I can't understand anything.

No comments: