Saturday, March 15, 2008

A few of us went out for dinner last night. Sue, Naomi, the new ESL teacher Donna and I all went. I invited Doogie, but she was busy. There is this really great Indian restaurant near the wrestling palace. We had samosas to start and a variety of dishes. I was full but the food was so good I had to keep eating. As a result, I spent the rest of the evening rolling around on my couch, unable to sleep. I should have known better! Some of the other teachers went on a "Pub Crawl" to celebrate St. Paddy's day, but we just weren't into it. It was kind of funny because we were all sitting around the table kind of humming and just in general being happy about the food. It reminded me of eating good food with mom and how we both enjoy a good meal.

Many of us have been down with the sickness that's been going around. I was the first to catch the chest thing that others are just now getting. A few teachers have had to take a couple of days off. Sue commended me on my "soldiering through" but I fear that's why it's taking me longer to get over it. Doogie hated to admit that her husband was right, but he had told her to take a day off and she did not. As a result (perhaps) she wound up having to take 3 off instead. She was going crazy at home, with nothing to do. I would have too!

Since I have decided to stay next year ( and most people are keeping mum about if they are or not, I only know for sure Colin has said he'd stay ) I felt it would be appropriate if I got a couple of plants. There are many plants in the school and one afternoon Yumchigmaa, Chandmani and I went on a secret mission to procure me some plants. It was funny because at one point Yumchigmaa said "Remeber Miss M, there are cameras everywhere!" I laughed, but also realized she was right! I now have a few struggling plants on my window sill. One that we "borrowed" didn't make it but I discovered in the upper bathroom plants left to root, so I took two of them. I do have some good light in my window so hopefully they will prosper.

Just as the plants add to my quality of life, we were talking last night a bit about my puppy, Gobi. I said I'd only had her for two weeks but felt she added so much to my daily existence. Sue said that while I had her my eyes were so bright! I guess I must really be a dog person. Naomi began to ask me about my philosophy on religion. I was full from food and not really in a mind to discuss such matters, but I told her basically how I felt. That I believe in energy and the idea that the universe wants to move towards an order. I also said that I don't really believe in a reason for life, we just are. I have always felt religion was a way to try to make sense out of what we cannot control and that believing in a higher being(s) took matters out of our hands. It's a bit of a cop-out if you ask me (and you didn't). You have little responsibilty for your actions. In class, we have been discussing ancient Greece (Olympics theme in mind) and other indigenous peoples. I have been explaining about how these people put their fates in the hands of such beings through sacrifice and the like. I do make it a point never to say if they were right or not in such actions, if there is a god or if I believe in one. This is not up to me, and I feel it's wrong. There are so many different religions here and I'd hate to tread on anyone's toes.

Speaking of the Olympics. They are here in Beijing this summer. It may pose a problem flight-wise for me to get home for my break! Must see Farley!

No comments: