Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Things have been so quiet this week thus far! The students have basically been informed not to come to school for one full week. This is the amount of time it takes for the virus to die. Things may still be contaminated for all I know. We have put together a homework package and many parents have come in to talk with me and pick it up, but I cannot take the papers back in case they are infected as well. I included a letter for both the parents and the students. I let everyone know that life just isn't the same at school until they get back here!

There haven't been any more illnesses at our school, and the grades 6 to 9 are still expected to come, however, many have chosen not to. This poses an issue for credit reasons. Luckily, we (Grade 3) are mostly finished all our instructional units for this year, but a lost week is still a lost week. That's what the homework packages are for. Plus, it has been decided that the following week there are to be no extra-curricular activities and instead an extra hour of school is to be replaced.

Don't think I have a week off! No, no! Initially we did up the homework packages. That took most of the first day. I still am continuously working on yearbook and breaking in a new teaching partner, so that amounts to some running around. Needless to say, after the first day I was surprised to see how time flew! I spent today cleaning up the classroom and working on my curriculum review. It's quite a daunting piece of literature that has to be generated. I spent the whole day today and 9 pages, and am only half way done. However, since I've been doing my review I've come to realize how little resources I have had for Science and Social Studies. Now I also have embarked on additional work for my requested supplies for next year. I felt I had completed it, but still see some gaps where more texts and manipulative's would be more than helpful for the following year. Plus, once you buy them, you have them for a long time!

I am doing my best to stay up until at least 8:30 today because if I go to sleep any sooner, I'll wake up too early. My eyes are sore and tired from doing nothing but working on the computer (SDES strikes again!). It has begun to get light much sooner and it wakes me up now about 5:00. I have to try to force myself to go back to sleep but I finally put my blanket over part of the window to block the light.

My planning for Doogie's party is going very poorly. It would seem that no one is checking their mailbox at this time and I have had hardly any response! I am desperate for this thing to go off, but it would seem everyone is otherwise occupied. Well, all I have to say is, who wouldn't look forward to a party! Especially after this week!

No comments: