Monday, May 26, 2008

It's been the consensus around here, I have the worst luck! On Friday night my wallet was stolen right out of my back back that was on the back of my chair. Sure the place was busy, but that's something you think you'd catch. It has been said that I'm a freak magnet. Tell me something I don't already know! Richard wondered if it was due to the fact they sensed a kindred spirit in me. I said either that or I portray a sucker!

I got to see two students today. Mika came by with her mom and gave me a necklace she'd made for me. It's cute! I also got to see Yumchigmaa. I told her to stay out of trouble. They're coming back for Friday to get their yearbooks. I also had many parents drop in today to get the homework packages and purchase last minute yearbooks. I have a bit of a math tutorial going on tomorrow. A few of the students were worried they weren't understanding the math. One of the parents said she'd tried to explain it, but that perhaps I'd do a better job. This from the mom who was screaming at me the last time she saw me. How nice to see the turnaround!

The yearbook is almost done and we're holding our breaths, hoping the publishing company comes through for us. Uyanga came by a bit crestfallen today to show me the editing copy. She was disappointed in the photo quality and she'd told me what steps she'd taken to make them better. We had to discuss the number of coloured pages and where to place them. As it turns out, if one half a page (which is on the other side of the book) is in colour and the other half isn't, the non colour page turns blue instead of being pure black and white. We reorganized the book and I think it's going to be okay.

Richard has put me in charge of photographing and putting together the end of year slide show for the students. I went around a bit today but had the funny feeling that my batteries were going to die. Sure enough, after a few great candid pics, when I had this amazing one all lined up, my camera died. I made sure to buy new batteries tonight, after I went through the maze of buildings to the card centre of my Mongolian bank and got my new card. We checked the balance and it looks as though everything is there. Geez, just my luck, eh?

I finally had the best taxi driver ever tonight! I've been a bit paranoid after my experience. I had taken to just automatically overpaying and holding my keys upright between my fingers. But this guy tonight! He spoke much English and decided we needed a field trip on the way home. He took me to the Buddhist monument just near where I live. We walked around it, rang the bell and beat the drum. It was like he knew I was needing some reinvestment in the people here and just made my day. He was sweet, didn't try to get my phone number, and only charged me $2. I shook his hand and thanked him. His name was Amraa and he was 41, although he didn't look a day over 35. It's been the small things lately; the necklace Mika made me, just staring at Yumchigmaa and us laughing all of a sudden in unison, the rainbow the other day and the taxi driver. These make life great.

The weather here has been very up and down. As of late it has been rainy and cold. Plus, the classroom is cold with out all my little bodies filling it up complaining they're hot. Then, on Sunday, it was summer full force sun. I was hot and sweaty getting my passport pictures for the upcoming visa and work card. Then today, it actually snowed!

I still can't wait to see Farley! I have begun to dream about him. We're actually not doing anything, just hanging out and being happy together. Just over a month and I'll be home!

No comments: