Tuesday, August 21, 2007


We did manage to finally all get together and go into town yesterday. Poor Jack, he was visibly tired as everyone was. They are all working so hard to get the place ship shape and in working order. Dan gave him a beer and he seemed to perk up knowing that at the end of the trip he had something to look forward to. The traffic in town was crazy! I think we went during rush hour and were glad it was he and not us driving. Tina and I saw a man that we initally thought was hurt or sick, but as it turns out he was just too drunk to stand. The security guards had to collect him up off the mat of the market. On the plus side, I got some dehydrated tofu and sesame seeds. Also, after I had made dinner, people from the school came by and finally my phone is working! It took an electrician and some rewiring, but it's up and running! I do not recommend anyone call me as I have heard it costs something outrageous like 20 some odd cents a minute! It had better be an emergency!













For some reason there were some fireworks last night. Dan, Tina and I heard them and went running for the porch! I initially thought for some reason we were being bombed but was glad to see it was a much happier reason for the sound. We then went up to the roof. I was upset that I was only just learning that the roof was there and was as accesible as it was. We stayed up there for a bit and then went back to their place to have a beer. I needed one as I had not slept much and my allergies were bothering me so. Here are some candid pics of my new friends!

Classic! I'm sure they won't be pleased about these pictures, but I'll bet they'll get me back!

The wind was so fierce last night it worried me. I went outside and was herded back in by the security guards. I went back to my room and then returned to the area where the security guards were and stayed with them for a bit. I couldn't help but think the roof was going to come down around my ears! They laughed at me and my concerns so I, the docile little lamb I am, returned to my room and proceeded to sleep on the floor. Winds and thoughts of hurricanes ran through my head but I did sleep soundly for the first time in a week. Perhaps the sounds of the winds lulled me into the deep sleep I so desperately needed. I felt safe there on the floor between my closet and bed and to be honest, the floor is just the same as the bed here. Hard mattress!

Mom sent me an email about another woman from Hamilton who was here last year. I have a funny feeling I am taking over her classroom and the photo from the Spectator is remarkedly similar to a place I stood as well on my hike. This is only the second year of the school and to know I am trodding in such well defined footsteps means a lot to me.

No comments: