Thursday, August 16, 2007




This is my apartment!











August 17/07
I woke up this morning to an overcast, windy day. The construction workers here seem to work around the clock. Last night at 10:30 the cranes were still going and someone was honking a horn for one minute straight, at least. I have a sore throat this morning and think it may be best for me to chill today. I should go to the school to get some pictures for my classroom. If I print off colour photos here they will take them into town and have them blown up for me.
I have discovered that Mongolia does not use daylight savings time so I'm really 12 hours ahead of those of you back at home. I'm still in the future though!
I have been slowly learning more about my upcoming school year. I believe classes begin on Sept. 2 and though I will be a home room teacher I will only have a total of 24 students. The staff is aware that this is my first teaching post and want to make sure I'm not overwhelmed. I will also be assisting with the ESL classes. I think the verdict was going to be in yesterday. The VP was all for me heading into town yesterday though in order to get more comfortable with my surroundings. As I'm sure you all read, I had a great day yesterday. I love those random days where you meet people and talk and share stories. We talked with Dan from Boston, as I have already mentioned, and a nice young man from Seoul, Korea.
A few new things have come to light recently, one being the fact that though we are equipped with washing machines there are no dryers. I just assumed that they hadn't arrived yet but then noticed two of my fellow teachers now have drying racks in their rooms. Another is that since the hot water won't be on for another two weeks the admin had set up a shower for the staff on the first floor of our apartment complex. It is a communal apartment that is shared by the work staff and I have heard it is not in the best of conditions. I will stick to my tepid dips in my own tub, thank you!

The artwork I purchased in the square yesterday.






I am officially out of money right now. I could go into town to get what Canadian money I have on me exchanged, plus, I have the rest of my advance coming. There are a few things I would like to get. I somehow forgot shampoo, my alarm clock, a hairbrush and have decided that I can either invest in a coffee maker or beging to buy instant.
The flies are copulating like mad in my apartment! I had to break up a couple of trysts, but the last thing I need is more flies in here!

No comments: