Monday, August 27, 2007

It has been a fun last few days before school finally starts. We had a roof party on Saturday night to welcome all the rest of the teachers. Plus, it was Sue's birthday! Happy birthday Sue!

The next day we did a walking tour, hosted by the illustrious Dan. He just seems to know everything! We visited some amazing temples! The usual trend in Mongolia seems you pay to visit the temple and if you would like to take photos, it costs more than double the entry fee.




This is outside of the Gandantegchengling Monastery where the Dalai Llama lived in 1904 and it hosts a 20 meter gold and bronze statue of Janraisig, but we just called it the Buddah. It was stolen by the Russians in 1937 and its fate is still unknown. In 1996 a new one was placed in the exact spot and consecrated by the Dalai Lama. It is 26.5 meters tall and wights 20 tons. It was very humbling to stand near. It took up the entire building and was surrounded by prayer wheels that ran the entire perimeter of the building. I walked and spun and then knelt at the altar and clensed myself in the incense.


We then walked to another temple that was supposed to host a giant head of Stalin, or maybe Lenin. However, after much walking in the heat, the temple was giant-headless, but the most beautiful we'd seen thus far. It was filled with such amazing art. It had something everywhere you looked, including the ceiling! It was full of bronze statues, masks, and very intricate wood carvings.
As all the teachers are finally here, and classes start in a week, we had our first real staff meeting. Everyone is so very nice and helpful, it is going to be a great year! My classroom is finally starting to come together and my teaching partner is very knowledgeable.
After meeting with Doogie (pronounced doggie), Colin, Andrew and I went into town and bought a few groceries. It was very hot today and dusty. My teeth were covered by the time we got back. After walking around town for too long with a full back we decided to take a taxi home.
Tomorrow, Jack will take us back into town and I can get some fresh veggies. I also plan to make my largest purchase yet, a coffee maker! The resident repairman, Ganbold, is coming to look at my refridgerator, as it freezes any item I put in it.

1 comment:

David Cuthill said...

This is my response to your response on cat@earthling.net I'm very envious. Your sense of adventure has taken you to unimaginable places and situations since The Amorous Ambassador.

I love the walk up the mountain to meet the goatherd. He looked as if he'd just met an attractive alien up there. I'm following the BLOG and will comment now that I think I've figured out how.

David