Thursday, August 23, 2007

Today I went into school and it appears my classroom is becoming more disorderly everyday! I am slowly trying to plow through all the papers and things left behind but feel the more I organize, the more chaotic it becomes. My TA and I have a lot of work to do!


Maureen and I decided to go into town early for the Quiz night. We tried to tell the taxi driver where we wanted to go but I believe he misunderstood and dropped us off in the wrong place. It was a very rainy, cold night and we were not really dressed weather appropriate. We managed to nestle ourselves at a little table inside Dave's Pub and talked for a bit. Once quiz night began we were all herded upstairs, outside. There we joined Terry and Laurie. The quiz consisted of 3 rounds of 15 questions and a world map we were required to name the country and capital of 20 countries. We came in last place with a grand total of 15.5 out of a possible 65! Yikes! Each player pays 1000 tugris to participate and the winning team gets the kitty at the end. Each week a different person hosts the game and comes up with the questions. I was the only person who knew what the O.J stood for in O.J. Simpson's name. I also happened to know what fugu was thanks to the last play I was in with the Penninsula Players group.


After freezing our cabooses off we decided to head home. My teeth were chattering and was grateful to come home to my camel hair blanket provided by the school. My fleece pants were also a welcoming sight! It has been difficult for me to stay warm today as I braved the communal shower today as well and it was less than warm water. At least my hair is clean!
Maureen trying to stay warm!
I finally have a screen up in my apartment and the fly population has definately dwindled. I can't help but wonder if with the coming cold they would have died off anyway. Tonight I am having another fitful sleep as there are many dogs out barking up a storm. From what I can tell the dogs are all outside dogs but still have families and are protective of their land. You never see anyone playing with or petting them, but if someone is walking there is usually a dog following closely behind.
I braved to go for a walk by myself this afternoon. Nearby there is a hotel and convience store. Outside the store was a man passed out on the lawn and two others standing near him. They shouted "Hey!" to me and I looked and smiled but went inside. The cashier was very helpful but I was a little nervous as the two men followed me inside asking me to be their "special friend" and laughing. I ignored them and went on my way. I have heard around us is not a particularly safe neighbourhood but as long as you are only out in the afternoon you are fine.
There is a 'black market' here where you can go buy items for a very good price. It is apparently huge and many of the teachers have gone with their TA's. Tomorrow is the day Jack takes us into town to buy supplies and I think some people have hopes of going there. I am unsure if I plan to go in. We'll see!

No comments: