Saturday, September 1, 2007



Well, classes begin on Monday (tomorrow) and everyone is gearing up. I am feeling the usual mix of excitement and nervousness. We are having an opening ceremony with red carpets and everything!


On Friday night we all went out for Thai food and it was excellent. It is common practice to save your leftovers and give them to a street kid. I gave mine to a young boy we had encountered before who sells Dove facial wipes. He eagerly accepted the food while the waitress was trying to shoo him from the patio.


There are many talented artists here. Outside of the Thai restaurant there was a man selling original paintings in oil. Dan, Andrew and I all bought one. I got the "Shaman".
Mongolia is a very poor country and I apparently am considered a millionaire. It is so strange to me that back at home I had little to no status and here I am automatically upper echelon. It does make me a target for pick-pocketers and the like but I am safe and aware. How lucky am I to simply have been born in Canada?
The women here wear high heels every where. They even hike in them! I bought some DVD's from the local video store and even got a bonus one! Colin had purchased some from the black market and was told they were in English. That apparently means dubbed over in Mongolian and then retranslated back into English subtitles. If some one says "yes" it was written as "of agreement".
Colin and I had to go into town yesterday as he was informed his hair was not corporate enough for the school. It was a decidedly sad march there and I'm still not sure he's recovered.

No comments: