Sunday, September 16, 2007

We were informed the hot water would be back on as of yesterday and still nothing. It is getting quite cold in the mornings and washing up with cold water just aggravates the situation. I have heard most likely the 1st of October instead. The kids are really disappointed as they don't get swimming until the hot water is back on. The one thing about Mongolia is that if one person has no hot water or no lights, no one does. So, we're all in the same boat.

Things here are running along smoothly. I am actually looking forward to going back to school tomorrow. I will post a new photo soon of my class and the plants we are growing for science class. Who would have thought that lentils I bought at the grocery store would actually grow?

I actually had a bit of an emotional weekend as a dear friend of mine sent me some photos from home to show my class. I was definately not expecting him to go to my house and get photos of my mom and dog, Farley. It was an extremely sweet gesture and I hadn't realized how much I missed them until I saw the pictures. I may have had a "moment" with some of the other teachers simply because there was no bank machine for me. Silly, but it happens. One thing I really miss is being able to read the menu! The language here is so foreign to me I feel completely clueless. Some of the teachers are doing quite well with mastering new words and phrases, but I am unfortunately not one of them. I know how to give directions to someone who picks me up driving but that's about it.

The only real marker for my weekend was a talk I had with the principal, Mr. Mark (whom my students have identified as a homophone. Yes, I was proud). I have discovered that after only one week they are cutting one of my ESL classes and I feel it is premature and unreasonable. That's all. So, I told him that ordinarily I wouldn't say anything and just go along with the flow, but it upset me and decided to speak up. Mr. Mark is a great listener. He's got everyone's best interest in mind and that is tough, considering the size of the staff and student body.

Well, here's to week three! I am giving my first test on Tuesday and hope my students do well!

No comments: