Thursday, September 6, 2007

Well, the first week of school is almost over and things are going better than I could have expected. My class is very well behaved and for some reason they love me. I am having to get used to teaching such young children still, but Doogie is helpful with her translating. I do have to keep reminding the children that class is English only. I found out on the second day that one of my students was crying at home because she has little English and was frustrated. We explained that though it may be tough at first, the more you practice the better you get. ESL classes hopefully will start on Monday.

I also am having trouble getting used to the idea that these kids want to hug me and hold my hand. Mongolians are a very family oriented society and often live with all the family in a small space. I'm used to North Americans who keep their distance. Not these kids! I have told them much about my life back in Canada and have been teaching them some of our idioms like "TGIF" and "knock on wood". I have even shown them photos of my love, Farley, and they say he is a good dog.

One of the main things I have noticed about myself is my English is becoming more broken in order to get my main point across. For some reason as well, I have started speaking with a French accent. I guess it goes back to my tree planting days in Northern Quebec when I picked up their accent and spoke in much the same manner.

My students are at such different levels in regard to ESL, sometimes it is frustrating for me as well. When you tell a joke and only 4 people laugh (well, that probably would happen to me anyway!) or I just see a lot of blank eyes looking at me when I say "Okay? Everyone understand?" At the store I can just point and use my fingers to say how many I want but in my classroom I need to know that they understand.

It is tiring dealing with so many young children. I am beat! They are always clamoring for my attention. "Miss M! Miss M! Look at me!" Not that I mind, it's nice to have people want your approving eye, but it is fatiguing. I also have had to explain that it will take me some time to learn their names and how to pronounce them properly. The language here is just so foreign sounding to me. They have names like "Yumchigmaa" and "Unkhbaya" (both girls names). I have one Edward and his was admitedly the first name I learned in the class.

Another unexpected turn is that the children love to learn! They are always shouting "Yah!" when I tell them we are now moving to Science or Math. They want more homework! Who would have thought! I think it is going to be a great year. Like I taught the kids, knock on wood for me and keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: