Sunday, June 29, 2008

It is now day two of my Beijing fiasco and I am still here in the airport. What an unexpected mess up! I made the mistake of taking the "Trolly Girl"'s opinion as to which terminal I should be in to catch my connecting flight. I waited for my flight information to come up on the board. At about 40 min to my flight departure I realized what a grave mistake I had made. I hightailed it to the proper terminal, and made it there with about 15 min to spare. Apparently, this was not enough time and United refused to let me on the flight. They also refused to reschedule my flights, claiming MIAT was responsible. I cried and was irritated, but to no avail.

I spent the night on the crappy seats here, stretched out under the armrests. When I woke up I had 6 huge mosquito bites on various parts of my body. I was informed I needed to speak with MIAT to reschedule my flight. I waited outside their office all morning, even falling asleep on the concrete floor outside the door. No one came. The ticket office opened up at about 7 this evening. I went to the office and was told that was just for cargo shipping and needed to head to the ticket counters. I did, and waited in line for 45 min only to be told I was not in their computers. I approached the floor manager, who spoke no English. Another woman showed up and reamed me out for missing my flight, saying it was my fault and there was nothing they could do for me. I said it was not my fault, I made the mistake of trusting an airport employee. I asked if they would prefer for me to make my new residence the airport. A new version of "The Terminal" will come out, starring me! Move over Tom Hanks, Cat is on the scene.

I have sent a few frantic emails home and to the office of my travel agent. I am unsure of what the outcome will be. If I have to go back to UB, then so be it. However, my bag has gone on to Toronto without me. I have no idea what will happen to it there, or how long it will be kept there.

To say I have been frustrated would be a huge understatement. I feel as though I have been crying for these past two days and everyone keeps trying to pass me off on someone else. No one is helping me, or even trying to. People who see me crying keep saying, "Don't worry, relax." Guess what, this doesn't help! They have no power to assist me. I will be on a plane tomorrow, no matter where it leads me!

No comments: