Friday, October 5, 2007

My classroom and the cafeteria have been disinfected. It's a bit smelly but worth it. We still have concerns about the Hep A getting around. One of my students came in today and he did not look well. I was obviously worried as he sat next to Khulan B. and immediately sent him to the nurse's room. Turns out a bunch of them got their flu vaccinations last night. Poor Tuguler, he's such a small boy and struggles as it is. He told me the needle hit his bone and almost broke it, I'm still not sure if that's possible but wonders never cease here in Mongolia. He ended up going home.
I now have my full 26 students though Khulan is off sick (obviously) and Chandmani is on vacation. I have a parent meeting with BG's (Tserendorj's) parents on Tuesday to discuss his moving up to the 4th grade. I have a funny feeling I'm going to meet some resistance from the 4th grade teacher but I know both he and his parents are ready for the change. It's been going around that in America they do not move students as they feel it is detrimental to their mental health. I do recall in Canada, as a child, students being moved around. I will be sad to lose him as he is a great student and an asset in my classroom, but he his bored and needs to be challenged. The teacher who may get him has only 14 students at this time and did say she could take more, however I feel she is hesitant and worry she may have some reservations. The princpal says it's a majority rules sort of situation and he will probably go. His mother came to see me on curriculum night and said they were for it.
I finally got to hang out with Doogie and we did not speak about our class, for once! It was nice. We had fun. Her daughter came to meet us as she is a student at the school in grade 7 and now I understand why my mom used to make me so bored while talking to friends. You don't get a chance otherwise! She is going to take me shopping on Sunday as all Mongolians have this fabulous footwear and I've never found a pair of boots that actually fit me. She also wants to take me grocery shopping to show me what is good food to buy and what is not. That I definatley appreciate as I cannot read any of the labels anyway.
It would seem that people here are quite the matchmakers! One of my student's mom wants to take me away to the new hotel in Terelj that opened up recently because she has an English speaking man to keep me company. She wanted me to write a note in her ESL journal saying if I would come or not but I told her it was too short of notice. Apparently this is the norm in Mongolia as they seem to really hold teachers in esteem here. Also, my TP, Doogie, wants me to meet her brother. Geez!
It is unusual to me that teachers are so revered here as back in Canada it seems if the child does no learn it is the teacher's fault. Doogie and I spoke about that tonight and she wanted to know what we do in Canada when the child is slower. I told her we usually define them as ADHD and give them pills. I am grateful for her help in the classroom now. We have a small handfull of students who just never seem to get it, no matter what language we speak. She said "I don't know what language to tell them in as they don't seem to understand in English or Mongolian." On the advice of a very wise teacher who contacted me though a friend, David Cuthill, I will make a new seating arrangement where the students are in groups with varied abilities. They help each other. I have already seen it where I'm talking to a student and if they don't understand, another explains it to them.
I seem to have lost Chinzorig's science test. He told me he put it on my desk, but it is nowhere to be found. The kids tell me it's because my desk is too messy, but it's an ordered mess! I know where everything is and I dont' really look forward to the addition of a new computer to the contents of my desktop. It would be nice though as my laptop never seems to get internet at school. At home it's okay, but the computer tech needs to come and set it up every time and I have just given up. It is a bit frustrating as the VP keeps telling me about emails I got but haven't had a chance to look at yet. It's also unnerving that they can tell if I've read my emails or no. Big brother!
The weather here is starting to get cold. I have gratefully asked my mom to send me some extra clothes. I knew it was going to get cold, but it's tough to pack for what you don't know. I'd like to send out a warm thanks to my mom for putting together a care package for me and shopping randomly for me. She hates buying me clothes as I never like what she buys, but trust me, I will wear it this time mom!
I'd also like to wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving! If you count back the months, I think it was around this time I was conceived. Cinnamon and nutmeg, such aphrodesiacs! It's so strange here because most of my studens are born in Oct, Nov, and Dec while where I'm from we mostly are summer babies. I have informed my mother that though I planned on calling the family at my aunt's place, it will be Tuesday morning for me when they are actually sitting down to dinner and will be a hard call for me to make. I send my warmest Thanksgiving wishes and hope that Michael will be rememberd in the grace!

No comments: