Thursday, October 23, 2008









I have warmly welcomed winter! This morning it was minus 8 degrees Celsius and it only got up to minus 4 today. It happened so quickly! We had a major snow fall here (meaning a couple of centimeters) and it would seem the Mongolians were taken by surprise. The buses couldn't get to school and they fashioned a shovel out of a two-by-four and a piece of plywood. So funny, things that are so normal to us wreak complete havoc somewhere else. Of course, I have been assailed with questions in regard to ice skating. I have no idea when or even who makes the rink, but because it was cold for one day the kids assumed the rink was already ready! I tried to explain that we would be skating on lumpy, frozen grass and these things take time, but they were crestfallen none the less.

Mongolia recently had an election. As a pre-emptive strike against riots recurring, they just stopped the sale of alcohol. Initially on that weekend they served beer only, but later nothing at all. I've been warned that there will another election soon as there was not a majority winner.

Things have been busy here, what with paperwork, school, and everything else. Tomorrow, luckily, is the last day before the week break. The kids are VERY excited about dressing up in their costumes! There will be a contest as well. Plus, we got to decorate our door. It's funny, because the students keep asking me, "Hallowe'en is Friday, yes?" I have to keep telling them that it's only Hallowe'en for the school, that because of the break we will miss it. They still seem a bit confused. I have no idea what to wear. I usually abstain from it, but feel it will show a lack of school spirit if I don't. I have nothing to wear!

The class has really settled in and are now very used to the routine I have in place. They actually get upset if I have to change it!

For the break I will just simply relax. Read, sleep, get a facial, and drink beer at will. Plus, I will get the chance to go to Millie's for those amazing refried bean burritos I love so much. I only now get to go on Saturdays as they are closed on Sundays. Mmmmmm, refried beans........ They are the one item you cannot find anywhere here. I love them so! Okay, well not the one item, but it's just that I found them one time in this one store, the Good Price, and I check every week to see if they have them back in again. I am always disappointed.

Our internet has been hit and miss for a while, so tonight it's not allowing me to upload much of anything. Better luck next time!

No comments: