Friday, August 22, 2008


It has been an exciting, and tiring, week. I pulled out of Canada on Aug 17th and somehow, of all the things in my life to forget I managed this one, forgot my laptop. I realized it while I was in the TO international airport, but felt there were no steps I could take at that point to get it back in my hot little hands. I was in security, and for Mom to drive back was just asking too much. Heck, she wasn't even back to her house yet at that point! The only thing, it was a running theme song in my head..."laptop...laptop..I forgot my laptop...laptop.." Well you get the idea.

I had to pull a teacher twice on my flights to Chicago and then on to Tokyo. The first was a pair of sisters who were arguing about if the shade should be up or down. I ended up saying, "Hey, cut it out!...Both of you!" I wouldn't have said anything but the mom was right beside them, and did nothing. She had her arms full with a boy who seemed about 6, maybe 7. However, this woman could not let the squeamer out of her arms, and it would seem disipline fell to the wayside with her. It finally ended when the older girl pinched the younger one so hard she cried. Mom, still no reaction.

On my way to Tokyo. This is a long flight, 12 hours. I managed to again be in the vinicity of young ones. We all know I'm a teacher, and love my students, but for some reason this also reserves me the right to tell children in a teacherly way when they're being wrong. Well, this boy behind me was kicking my chair, for over an hour. I finally went to the bathroom and on my way said, "Can you please stop kicking the back of my seat? It's driving me insane." That was all it took, and he stopped. No one likes to be on a flight like that, especially one that long. I did procure for myself one of those donught type neck pillows. I actually slept!

Okay, so I arrive in Tokyo. I feel kind of lost, of course. I get my money exchanged in the airport and grab a taxi. Tokyo is actually one hour drive away from Narita airport. Well, the drive cost me 23 000 JPY. That was near on $300! Yikes! I paid because I had so much to carry and didn't feel like being a mule any more. I had two backpacker backpacks, plus my guitar. I was loaded!

I went to check in, and due to the time change from N.America, I technically lost a day. I left Canada on Aug 17, but arrived in Japan the 18th. My room was still there, but I still had to pay for the day. Geez, what luck I have!

So, I decided before the jet lag fully set in I should go out to eat. I walked up the way, and found a place that seemed to have sushi on the menu. I had trouble ordering and the waitress asked me, "Do you speak Japanese?" Well, if I did, wouldn't I already be speaking it? I know, kind of cynical, but also a very practical question. I did not say it, as she would have had no clue as to what I was saying anyway. There was a gal at the next table who spoke English and offered to assist me. It would seem they were trying to get me to order more food than I needed. This be said, she (Rose, Tokyo Rose) and her companion (Suzuki) offered for me to join them. I agreed. Rose was astounded my my proficiency with chopsticks and I had to laugh. I said, "We do have chopstick in Canada!" She and her friend were interested in my journies, and at one point she said, "you live an interesting life." I thought, Poo, you're from Romania, you live in Tokyo, and you speak three languages! I just said, "Thank you." I went to the tiniest, but cleanest, space I've ever occupied, and slept.

No comments: