Saturday, August 23, 2008








I am going to have to say that Tokyo is one of the hottest places I've been. I suffered from jet lag and was up and down during the night. Luckily the place I was staying had computers for us non locals to use. I have to admit, I was somewhat distracted by my missing laptop. You put your life into some little contraption, and without it you feel completely lost.

I really only had one full day there, and just wandered around the city. Those of you who know me, know I get lost very easily. However, I did not get lost once there! I was proud! I took a boat ride in the hopes it would be cooler, and in the air conditioned downstairs part, it was. I ate seafood flavoured popcorn, saw some bridges and a park. Took many photos, and saw lots of bicycles and varnished food. I have to admit, it seemed a little pale without someone to share it with. What happened to me? I guess I fell in love. Is this what everyone has been talking about all this time? I did eat some fabulous food there! Mmmmmm, tuna sashimi! Diagnosis, delicious! I walked around after the boat ride looking for a place to eat. I know, you'd assume because I was in Japan that all the restaurants would be Japanese. Or, I suppose, just restaurants. I found a little hole in the wall obviously frequented by locals, and knew I had found my place! My goal going there was one thing, stuff my face with sushi. Mission accomplished!

To get back to the airport I talked with the front desk people and it was much, much cheaper! I took a taxi to the station and the skytrain to the airport. I was something of a pack mule though, carrying all this stuff! My impressions of Tokyo is that everyone there is very friendly and more than willing to help. Aside from the heat, it was a lovely, clean place to visit. It really doesn't cost as much as you would assume. Just that one cab ride took up half my budget, but it really wasn't that big of a deal.

It is much cooler here back in Ulaanbaatar. I have been meeting the new teachers and they are really great. I think it's going to be a good year. It was nice to be back "home", to the place where all my stuff is. I was picked up at the airport and danced because I was so happy! Upon my arrival to my place of residence, there was no electricity and hence, no water, but there was a beautiful rainbow. What a welcome home!

I wish I could upload all the photos to fully share the sights with you all, but the site does not allow for more than one photo at a time and it is really time consuming. Plus, I do not seem to have the ability to organize them and place where I'd like in my text. I have brought my guitar with me, but need to get some new strings for it. I finally managed to download iTunes and Skype on my new laptop, however, I did erase my complete iTunes library from my iPod. Geez! If it's not one thing, it's another with me. I thought as you get older, you were supposed to become more collected! I guess with more responsibility comes more things to forget!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad as you enjoyed the travel in Japan.

CatMihowich said...

Thanks! Hopefully I can return sometime!