Sunday, January 6, 2008

There has been quite the scare here this holiday season in regards to alcohol, specifically, vodka. Apparently some Mongolian made vodka poisoned a bunch of people and they died. There was some sort of mix up with the methanol/ethanol ingredient or some such problem. They just stopped selling all alcohol in general, including beer and wine. I hadn't noticed. Well, I did notice when I went shopping that all the bottles were covered up but I had assumed it was due to the fact it may have been considered too early in the day to sell it. Poor Dan, all he wanted was a beer. It makes me even more glad I have a self-imposed vodka ban on myself. Dan was saying that at the school Christmas party he was terribly ill and wondered if it may have had something to do with that.

Just a small correction to one of my earlier blogs. I had the directions wrong, I always get zoon and barone mixed up. Zoon is left and barone is right. John gave me a good way to remember. Zoon has the same number of letters as left. You can tell he's a primary teacher!

While John and Christina were in Korea they had an ultra sound done. The medical treatments there are much better than here. If you have a serious illness here it is not uncommon to head to Beijing for treatment. The doctor said it's 80% a girl. Christina said it was funny because people had been telling her that no one in Mongolia finds out what the baby is before it is born. She said it's really because the ultra sounds here are so bad you can't see anything anyway. They are heading back to Canada to have the baby there. I had forgotten you can't fly in the 3rd trimester so they'll be leaving in a few months. I told her the kids were going to be devastated because they love her so.

I am just getting ready for my first PD day. I'm feeling good. My cleanse is over and I broke my fast finally on the night of the 4th. I've decided to go back to being a vegetarian because the meat here is gross and makes me ill. Aside from just learning how to fall asleep at a decent hour, I'm doing pretty good! I have been trying to upload more photos but my camera and computer are not cooperating with me. Soon!

No comments: