Tuesday, May 12, 2009



There has been much happening,it seems, as of late. On Friday we had a snow storm. I can't say it was unseasonal or not, but it threw everyone for a loop! The power went out at about 3am Friday morning (I, unfortunately was still up...lots to think about I guess!). The next morning it had still not come back on. I reported for school same as always, but without my usual cup of morning coffee. It was supposed to come back at about 11:00. Well, it was nearly lunch time and the toilets were out of their reserve tanks, and things were beginning to get hairy in my mind. This happened last year and as soon as you tell the students that they have to only use the bathroom for emergencies, they suddenly all have to go! So, I said very little. There was talk about sending the students home, which I thought was a good idea. Most people felt that it would be 'Murphy's Law' and as soon as the kids left, the power would come back on. Well, we got the kids out of there, thanks to the classroom assistants and their phone calls. The power came back on finally many hours later. It was the right decision to send the kids home. It's just one of those days that started off wonky and it was difficult to maintain order.

Some of the other teachers and I went for lunch in town, and enjoyed the hot food and flushing toilets.

Saturday it snowed as well. Huge, slow snowflakes falling. They looked beautiful, but made me just want to stay inside. It still is funny to me that it snows more in the spring than it does all winter here, which is telling of the true cold nature of the country.

I have somehow become an insomniac. Which is very unfortunate for me. Remember when you were "a kid" and could stay awake for days at a time? It wasn't even noticeable on your face then, but you can feel it now. Not that I"m not getting any sleep, I am! Just, you know when your mind won't turn off? Well, that is it for me. I suppose I have some stress, what with moving coming up and what not....heading into the new unknown, but I do have to admit that some of it comes from my classroom. In general I have a very lively and happy classroom. My students and I have a great relationship, and they say anything to me. There has been an issue, basically the entire year, with one student. Unfortunately, this manages to be a wet blanket for me and my days at work. I have had to consider the other 17 students I have, and how this presence effects them. The Big Picture is made up of so many small composites. How this is going to play out, I'm unsure. I can say that I'm unhappy right now. I consider myself lucky to have a few very great people here I can go and talk to. If you can't vent, you boil over; luckily this has not happened to me. I have to call my mom!

Other than this, we had an amazing Science Fair. Every student turned in something. Wow! I allowed students to work in pairs if they chose, and it was a great decision. The work they turned in was incredible. Up above is a portrait that was drawn of me by a student, and man, do I look good! The other is just one dynamic pair that worked well together. Their topic was 'germs' and it raised the most questions. The topics ranged from U.F.O's to prehistoric animals to weather. It was great!

I have to admit, it's nice to look outside and see that beautiful blue sky Mongolia is known for. Plus, there is some green! I don't think I'm the only one who is counting down the days, but there's something like 33 left. Woohoo!

No comments: