Friday, February 13, 2009


We've had some excitement here. A new store opened up near to the school! It seemed for the first week it was all anyone could talk about. I finally made my way there a couple of weeks ago, and it's nice. It's great to not to have to go all the way into town just to buy a few things. I feel badly for the old store I visited, as I'm sure they miss our business. That reminds me, I need to buy juice!

My class and I went on another field trip! We visited the Museum of Traditional Medicine here. Unfortunately, it was all in Mongolian, but the kids were happy to translate for me! They were really cute because they'd be listening and then they'd say, "Miss M! That is so interesting!" They know I can't understand what was happening or being said, so they'd tell me. It was a bit strange, as we had to wait for this tour guide to come, and they pacified the kids by putting on 'Kung-Fu Panda', but when she finally showed, she didn't do anything!

It was too cute though, because after lunch the kids were putting on their jackets and getting ready to go. I had to tell them we have a half-hour still until we leave and to put their jackets away. When the bell rang they all lined up as usual and started chanting, "Field trip! Field trip!" We actually did nothing on Friday. For the first period, we got new library books. Until lunch time, we watched "Journey into the Centre of the Earth" and then made Valentine crafts. We had lunch, recess, and then went on the trip. When we got back, we finished our crafts. No wonder they love me! Plus, I bought them popcorn and chocolate! It made me laugh though, as after the movie, first of all, they applauded! Secondly, they kept asking me, "What's the next surprise?"

My new teaching assistant is working out very well. She is determined and gets things done. She also does anything I ask. I wonder if she's a bit too good at her job, as if I ask her to make a phone call or anything, she won't come back to the class unless she has some definitive answer for me. On occasion, I think a couple of parents have been harassed! That's just her though, doing her job. The kids initially were somewhat disrespectful toward her, but they are good now. However, I did find out that she's the one who told the kids that a carpenter was someone who helps you with their carpets!

One of my students made me laugh, because I was asking him about why he didn't properly write something down. He looked at me with swirling eyes and then replied, "Miss M! It must have been all those beers I was drinking!" I literally had to put my head down on my desk and laugh!

I have my April vacation all planned and booked. I'm off to Bali. If I fly with Korean Air it is much cheaper and I have booked with a place that costs about $20 a night. I'm happy I finally get to go there, and swim! While my trip to Vietnam was great, there was not nearly enough swimming involved!

No comments: