Sunday, November 16, 2008




One of my students actually knows who Tom Selleck is! He loves that Tom has facial hair. I find it so amusing that someone seemingly so remote to Mongolians is actually known!

Things here have been chugging along. This last week the days truly began to blur together. I have been sick and thus, not really taking much in. We had a surprise visit from Gary at the school, which is unusual as we don't normally see him until February. I didn't get much of a chance to talk to him, but he seems well and in good health.

Due to my illness, I finally decided it was time to call in the heavy artillery. I recall from last year that my cold lasted over a month. I worked like a trooper through it all, but did not want to repeat. I asked the waitress at my Saturday luncheon (the only and best refried bean burritos ever!) to write me a note. Her English was very good (I keep having to correct my students that it's not American, it's English) and asked if she could write in Mongolian. She said, "Of course! I'm Mongolian!" I did not mean to offend her, but because of my past experiences I've noted that though many can speak their language, they cannot write it. Anyway, I got her to write me a note to the Pharmacist. I felt so proud when I went in and just handed over my "doctor's note". I began to feel embarrassed when they laughed at me, and then even more when one of the the technicians actually spoke English to me! I was surprised and not expecting it, so I had to say, "I'm sorry, I was not expecting anyone to speak English. Can you please repeat what you said?" We muddled through, and I got some antibiotics. I can honestly say that I'm feeling better already.

I am glad to say that I have my Christmas vacation all ready! I am off to humid Vietnam and found this tour online that is called "Easy Beach Break". I will tour the country, flights included, and see beaches, pagodas, and whatnot. It sounds wonderful! At least it's something to, finally, look forward to! I can't hardly wait!

No comments: