Sunday, December 30, 2007

I was robbed! For my first time here in Mongolia I got robbed. I had had a very strenuous day. I missed my bus stop and then got stuck in a traffic jam. I got off that bus and boarded one heading the other way. We were still stuck in traffic in an area I have never been before. The bus soon turned into a travelling sardine can again and I decided to just get off and walk, no matter where I was. As it turned out I got off at the correct stop and made my way toward the State Department Store.

I had to head to the Happy Shop to return a movie that was marked as other than what it was. They exchanged it for me and I got some more to tide over my evenings here. I then headed to the department store. I had a few errands to run which of course took me to many different floors. I thought I was done and headed to the grocery store there. After waiting in line for what seemed an hour (everyone is stocking up for New Years) to purchase four items I remembered I needed something back up on the third floor. I found what I was looking for (an extension cord) and went to pay. When I went looking for my wallet it was gone! I frantically searched high and low on my person and in my bags for it. It was no where. I decided to head back down to the grocery store to see if I left it at the cashier. As I was heading my way back downstairs something was lobbed through the air, down the stairs and laned at my feet. It was my wallet! I grabbed it and looked inside. All the money was missing (over 250,000TK, about $300) but my VISA and Canadian driver's license was there. No doubt the jerks were watching me look for my wallet and were waiting for the opportune moment to return it to me. I feel a bit grateful to have it back with my credit card but still. I was robbed!

I was forced to take a second trip to the bank machine in order to pay for my cord and decided I'd had enough and it was time to go home. After one quick stop at the Korean store I flagged down a driver and headed home where I was safe and sound. I have now decided to keep my wallet not in my purse, but my jacket pocket with a zip. It astounds me that I didn't feel a thing and wonder if I'd been cased. It is always busy in the store and people are constantly bumping into you. My camera was safe though!

No comments: